Friday, January 26, 2018

I can feel you... Tune Yards Review

I Can Feel You Creep Into My Private Life - Tune Yards

4/10

Spotify

Interesting I guess?

I had very high hopes for this album. All 3 of the singles, Look At Your Hands, ABC 123, and Heart Attack were above average songs that were fun and enjoyable so I was expecting more of the same in this album. That's not what I got.

Merrill Garbus's vocals, in many spots, do not fit with the background instrumental and end up clashing into a very ugly sound. The first song that comes into my head now when I think about this album is Colonizer, which is just all over the place and morphs into something just strange and cluttered. The song itself is Tune Yard's attempt at calling themselves out for being influenced by African music, and ends up just being a drag, with no real reason to be here at all. (Also the African screams are NOT good).

This album just feels uninspired, and was a drag to get through, even with it's good moments. You can save your time on this one and stop listening after the singles, it's the best this album offers by a wide margin.

Favorite Tracks - Heart Attack, Look At Your Hands, ABC 123

Least Favorite Tracks - Colonizer, Honesty

Thank you for reading! And as always, this is Kenny Haller, over and out!