Thursday, February 15, 2018

Crooked Shadows by Dashboard Confessional Review

Crooked Shadows - Dashboard Confessional

5/10

"I write cause I never know just what to say."


There's something special about the closing track on this album, Just What To Say. It's simple. It's powerful. It hurts. I don't think there's a better place to start talking about this album than here. Because this song is the best this album has to offer. And that's not a knock against this album, there's some other decent songs on here too, it's just this song has been stuck with me since my first listen. It hits you and doesn't let go.

Not knowing the words to say when everything seems like it's crumbling is something most if not all of us feel at times, and it's really captured in this song. The escalation of the same lyrics, in a way, are showing how he doesn't know how to show what he's feeling but needs someone to hear him out. It's a sobering thing to listen to, and takes me to the times in my life that I've felt a similar way.

We Fight is another highlight on this album, really bringing out the emo I was expecting more of on this album. But this track has everything you can ask from an emo song, with the vocal performance being top notch and compelling.

A lot of the rest of this album, though, doesn't live up to the start or finish of this record. It's mostly bland, with no real powerful moments and only a couple of cool moments worth hearing. It was overall pretty disappointing to listen to, especially with such a strong start and end to the record. I wish there was more in the middle of this album to love, but there's only mildly enjoyable songs at best and annoying unnecessary songs at worst.

Favorite Tracks - Just What To Say, We Fight

Least Favorite Tracks - Belong, Catch You

Thank you all for reading! Let me know what you guys think, and as always, this is Kenny Haller, over and out!