Monday, January 15, 2018

Camila - Camila Cabello Album Review

Camila by Camila Cabello Album Review

3/10

Spotify


There are things on this album that I do not understand how they let on here. There's a moment in Real Friends that I had to re-listen to like 7 times, just to make sure I wasn't mishearing it. Camila, at 2:55 of the song, does a riff-slide-like thing, that probably sounds decent unedited (at least I hope so), but they instead add this heavy autotune to her voice to make it sound like a robot is malfunctioning.

Never Be The Same, one of the catchier songs on the album, more than passable for radio pop, has one of the weirdest and most unnecessary lyric choices for the album version of the track.

Here's the radio version;

"Nicotine, rushin' me, touchin' me."

While not a great lyric, it fits the structure of the song and doesn't break the flow of the song.

Here's the album version;

"Nicotine, Heroin, Morphine."

"But Kenny, doesn't the 2nd version fit the song's theme better?"

Yes, yes it does.

However.

Camilla decides to put a 2 syllable word in a spot for a 3 syllable word, as shown in the radio version. As a result, morphine sounds so out of place that it throws off the entire song. I can't believe they made the REGULAR version of the lyric so much worse than the radio version.

Consequences, my favorite song on the record, admittedly,  sounds like it was written by a 14 year old. There's no variety, no good lyrics, nothing original about this song. The only reason I enjoy this track is because I convinced myself to believe that she wrote this when she was 15, and is just recording it now.If that's the case, good job (but please at least add something besides chords to this song pls). 

On a happier note, Havana is a very catchy song, that, although it has blown up out of proportion, is a song worthy of gaining attention.

All together, this album just feels like a chore to listen to. It's few good moments are overshadowed by bland pop and bad musical choices, and I can't recommend this album to anyone.

Thank you all for reading, and as always, this is Kenny Haller, over and out!